It never ceases to amaze me how quickly something can become cliché. Recently, I’ve started to notice just how cliché certain Facebook practices have become—and I didn’t think Facebook was even old enough to have clichés yet! Yet some trends have managed to reach criminal proportions.
I realize that I may be the only person who may be annoyed by unoriginality, but I’m okay with that (at least it’s an original annoyance). It just really annoys when I see people copying each other again and again. So here, is a brief list of Facebook habits that bug the crap out of me…
· Overuse of lyrics and quotes for status updates—I don’t care so much about what “they” said, it’s your status
· Profile pictures that are just a hand with a ring—could be anyone’s hand!
· Profile pictures of you as a baby/young child—we were all cute back then
· Profile pictures of inanimate objects—seriously? It’s called Facebook, not Flowerbook
· Constantly substituting “lol” and emoticons for punctuation—to which pronoun are you referring anyway?
· Farmville—and Fishville and Baker’s Corner and Mafia Wars and I don’t care what crop you just planted or blackjack you found.
Of course, I myself am not innocent of some social networking transgressions. I know that I probably do update my status too often. However, I try to make those statuses interesting. All I ask is that others afford me the same consideration and at least attempt to be original occasionally.