Saturday, July 31, 2010

Right Place, Wrong Time

Something I’ve been learning is that sometimes what we want isn’t actually what’s best for us, or at least not right then. Of course, we always assume that we know what’s best for ourselves—but so often we’re wrong. At least, I know I am. Pretty sure it’s called being human.

We want what we want and we want it now. Modern culture especially has encouraged a demanding, impatient approach to life. The Age of the Microwave has only encouraged our unhealthy penchant for exasperation. We’ve developed a habit of foregoing quality in exchange for speed.

It may not necessarily be that what we want is wrong, but maybe it’s just the timing that’s wrong. We have to have faith that when it is meant to be, it will be. I need to just stop getting in the way of my own happiness and learn to appreciate where I am at this moment… and trust that the future will be better.

Therefore, I end tonight with Aslan’s words from The Magician’s Nephew: "Oh Adam's sons, how cleverly you defend yourselves against all that might do you good! But I will give him the only gift he is still able to receive… Sleep. Sleep and be separated for some few hours from all the torments you have devised for yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment