Thursday, July 8, 2010

Be Still

As I’m writing this, it is quiet. There is no talking, no music… nothing but the gentle whirring of the fan. The silence felt rather strange and alien initially, but now it’s almost comforting. My mind is beginning to clear, allowing my soul to breathe. Tonight, I am practicing stillness.

So much of life is filled with noise. Often times, I find myself purposefully creating more to keep myself focused or distracted, depending on the situation. Some sounds help you block out other background disruptions. Other sounds help you block out your own thoughts.

I am sorely tempted to turn on the TV or some music, interrupting the tranquility. I do not wish to be alone with my thoughts at the moment. Humanity seems to fear that silence will lead to nothingness. However, “there is a difference between doing nothing and being still.”

Perhaps a more peaceful environment will prove conducive to calming the spirit. I don't know about yours, but my soul could certainly use a rest. There’s no use hiding from the trouble—it’s here whether or not we acknowledge it. This stillness proves that all that noise only ever aggravates a mind, leaving it further troubled.

No comments:

Post a Comment