Tuesday, July 27, 2010

All There

Sometimes, I’m not all here. Of course, I can’t physically be anywhere else other than here. Mentally, however, I tend to be all over the place. I often find myself writing an email, singing along with a song, and deciding what to have for dinner simultaneously.

“Living in the moment” is not one of my strengths. I am constantly planning, thinking one step ahead like a carpenter who builds stairs. This occasionally means that I can miss whatever is happening right before me. I’m all about carpe diem, but seem to forget that that day is today!

Part of me keeps waiting for my life to start: “as soon as I get a new job… as soon as I get married… etc.” I need to remember that my life has already started. It’s going on right now. I don’t want to miss today while I’m waiting for tomorrow.

Yes, it is of course very important to plan wisely for the future and its possibilities—I would never say otherwise. What I have been learning is the value of the here and now. Why wait around for tomorrow, since it’s something that isn’t ever going to come? Wherever you are, be all there… because you can never be anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment