Friday, July 16, 2010

Old School

People are always talking about the good old days. I know that they weren’t really any better, but sometimes they seem like it. Personally, I’ve always been a big fan of the simple tale of adventure: the epic battle of good versus evil that also inevitably involves a girl.

Who said stories have to be ridiculously contrived to be enjoyable? So many recent films have become ludicrous vehicles for the bloated egos of superstars and/or excessive special effects budgets. Most are simply launch pads for lucrative franchises of sequels and merchandise. Give me a black-and-white that actually has a point!

Call me strange, but I prefer my entertainment to be more old school. All I want is a decent plotline, witty dialogue, actors with real talent instead of just looks, and a good soundtrack. People may think I’m weird for loving Casablanca, but it kicks Avatar’s butt any day without even breaking a sweat.

Nowadays you never hear of a movie coming out unless it’s all CGI and 3D. Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, and Audrey Hepburn did not need special effects to move an audience. I’m not saying that I don’t appreciate thought-provoking or visually awesome cinematography. I do, however, miss when movies were all about telling a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment