Sunday, June 27, 2010

Living Sacrifices

My dad always used to say that the problem with living sacrifices is that they’re always crawling off the altar. I was reminded of this today in church, and Megan and I had a good discussion about it afterwards. Of course, our discussion took place at Friendly’s, over sundaes.

Sometimes, like when I’m eating ice cream, it’s not so hard to be holy. Other times, like when it’s 95˚ and humid, it’s very difficult. I tend to get grumpy when it gets that hot. I like the 70’s. Any higher than that and I become irritable—especially when I don’t have air-conditioning.

Today, I’m having trouble being a good living sacrifice. I would much rather be a dead sacrifice. It’s so much easier to just make a one-time commitment and be done with it. Instead, I have to constantly keep reminding myself who I am. I may be tempted to complain, but instead must choose to meditate on whatever is good and true.

I spent the afternoon cleaning: washing the dishes, doing the laundry, etc. I need to finish this post, then I need to work out. I would much rather have just taken a nap or watched TV. It’s hard work being a living sacrifice, but it’s totally worth it. Life is better without regrets over wasted time.

No comments:

Post a Comment