Wednesday, March 23, 2011

When You Can't Crawl

Sometimes life knocks you flat on your back very unexpectedly. When this happens, you have two options: continue to lay there or try to get back up. While it may be tempting to wallow in despair, you can’t do that forever. Just because you want to get back on your feet doesn’t mean you always can on your own. Sometimes, you need someone to help you.

I’ve become convinced that friends are essential to an existence. C.S. Lewis once said that “friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” I think that sentiment sums up my feelings perfectly.

A couple weeks ago, life hit me hard. I’d already been having a bad time of it, but then something completely blindsided me. This was not one of those moments in which to be making new friends—it was one where you thank God for dear brothers and sisters who already know you. These are the type of friendships which can only been built over years of laughs and tears.

My friends are so wonderful that when everything goes pear-shaped, I can call any of them in the middle of the night and she’ll immediately want to help. I love my friends so much and I only hope that can be such a good friend to them if they ever have such a need. You know what they say, when you can’t run, you crawl, and when you can’t even do that, find someone to carry you.

No comments:

Post a Comment