Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Overcompensation

Do you ever get the feeling that you’re trying too hard? You keep doing whatever it takes to make everything perfect and failing miserably. No matter how hard you try, you never fully succeed. There’s always one more detail left unfinished, paranoid that there was one more word you should have said. All you want is one unspoiled moment in a day.

Today was one such day in my life. Even after I’d had my morning coffee, I just could not get the day going. Nothing I did seemed good enough. Admittedly, I was the only one noticing any mistakes; however, I could not shake the feeling that I was ruining everything. I found myself obsessing over the tiniest mistyped words—isn’t that what they have spellcheck for?

Overcompensating for a lack of contentment is exhausting. All day, I felt like a hamster in a wheel, running and running and getting nowhere. Why? Because my stylist was careless with my hair and I now look like a slightly deranged leprechaun. I’m worried that when people look at me all they will see is a dumb little blonde girl with bad highlights.

Sometimes you (I) need to take a step back and readjust the paradigm. Yes, I still need to get my hair fixed, but that doesn’t mean I’m suddenly incompetent at my job. The little things in life need to stay little. Overcompensation can knock perspective dangerously askew. Perfection is a worthy goal, but not at any cost. Some things are worth the worry, others are not… the trick is knowing the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment