Sunday, June 13, 2010

Want vs. Need

Wants and needs are sometimes two very different things. You can want the things you need, but you don’t always need the things you want. Like the song says, “you can’t always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you get what you need.”

For instance, clothes: I may want new, fashionable clothes, but all I really need is enough material to keep things covered. I may want a fast, new car, but all I really need is to get to the store for groceries. So, I look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns” and “consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin.

Maybe I don’t have everything I want, but I do have everything I need. If I thought that I needed something, but don’t have it… I guess I never really needed it anyway. Why do I constantly rather fight for something I don’t really want, than to take what is given that I need? Probably because I’m an idiot.

We can be so stupid sometimes. How much “stuff” do we really need? Yet we constantly put possessions and prestige ahead of the truly important things in life: people. At the end of the day, a flat–screen or a corner office won’t keep you warm. In your pursuit of what you want, whom have you forgotten that you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment